Thursday 9 February 2012

Some Sewing Progress

As I try to get into a new routine the desire to sew has been somewhat lacking and the heat doesn't help!

Finally I turned the machine on and joined the last 2 blocks of the 'Because I Said So' BOM. I'm guessing that this month being the last will contain the border fabrics and I can start joining all the blocks together. It was easier to leave them as blocks for storage.


Tuesday evening I dug out the pieces of my 'Calendar Quilt' which was sewn through 2009...my designated UFO to make progress on this month. The last 4 months needed the name embroidered and the last 3 months required joining. I have the sashing fabric reading for cutting ... just deciding which width to go with. The strips are 10" wide and 92" long so it's already very long and narrow. I thought maybe 6" sashing between the strips and a 3" border all the way round would give the quilt a finish of 64" x 98"? Your ideas on strip width would be most appreciated. I'm sure there's some rule of ratio out there that would help.

I've also started the embroidery on my next TTS block and the quilting on my brother's quilt is done! Just need to sew the binding on except the power went off this morning and has not long come back on so that's next on my agenda today.

We've also been receiving lots of rain .. the gardens and lawn have gone crazy and wouldn't you know the mower broke down. Lucky I took this photo before a recent storm because the heavy rain has knocked most of the blossoms off since.


Binding time ... Happy Sewing

6 comments:

  1. whow Narelle you have been busy on some lovely projects there,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great progress! I like the blossom, although your telling it's most gone by the weather. We have snow and freezing cold weather in Holland. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. finding it hard getting some sewing mojo too.
    Sounds like you have been making headway on your lists!
    Love the colours in the calendar quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. doing great... love your strips... I don't know about sizes but your idea sounds good.... makes it a good size....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't fret.. once you settle in the sewing time will be found.. and mojo located.
    I just go by what looks right to me with widths of borders etc. You'll pick out what suits you I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Narelle,

    Just love your strip quilt. I have just borrowed a book from the library called "Friendship strips and scraps" by Edyta Sitar. It has some beautiful strippy projects in it.

    I wish I could smell your blooms, and I noticed all the green grass.
    Have a great weekend.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete